Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 2: Billings to the Park, swimming in Boiling Springs (incredible), Cowboy Dinner at Roosevelt, Cabin at the Lake

So bright and early (or not so early...) on Friday we left our delightful Kelly Inn in Billings, MT and headed for the Park the shoe store since we could not find Josh's sneakers anywhere.  Ten minutes and $14 later Josh was the proud owner of another new pair of shoes and we were off.   A short trip later (all things being relative, 2 1/2 hours seemed like nothing) we hit a Taco John's for lunch. A communal thumbs down was given, though Josh did enjoy his taco/burrito/fried something or other.   The older kids ordered wings and they were so hot we were all laughing and crying at the same time...they were super hot!!  Then off to the Park. We went in the North entrance under the pillar and it was awesome.  Here are some pictures from just outside the park and from the entrance in...the adventure was really beginning now.

After entering the park we looked diligently for our first stop, Boiling Springs, but missed it.  We went on to Mammoth, stopped at the ranger station where they pulled a super secret little tab of paper out of a drawer somewhere with directions on it and back we went the 2 1/2 miles to our stop.

The kids and I got out while Mom waited with the car.  It was cold and rainy but trusting their old mama (not really, they were pretty sure I was leading them astray) we set off in our suits down the trail towards the hot springs.  This was something I have always wanted to do and here was our chance...I was not missing this for a little rain!  I will fully admit it was chilly and I was somewhat concerned about the trip back to the car once we were all wet from our dip, but I did not worry overmuch...that was later.

It was everything I had expected it to be and so much more.  First, it was not very crowded and once one couple departed we had the pool all to ourselves.  Second, the water from the hot springs was indeed boiling.  If you got too close, you would be scalded.  The water in the river itself was cold...frigid even.  Even in summer you could be hypothermia in the rivers in Yellowstone.  Where we swam the hot springs pour down into the river and there is a natural "hot tub" effect.  I loved it.  Macey was annoyed to the point of tears by the smell and the contrast.  Josh as always was chipper and up for anything.  Daniel enjoyed it.  One of my favorite moments of the trip were those when the four of us were lounging in the water, sitting on rocks, watching the river rush by, enjoying the steamy hot water pouring off a small waterfall onto us.  Delightful.





No comments: