Friday, September 3, 2010

That J is a smart one...

So, I am a reader. Anyone who has known me for any length of time and spent any time with me knows that I am a reader. In my spare time, when nothing else is going on, I read. Its just one of those things. Some of my "spare time" comes when I toss the baby in the bathtub. For months when each of my younger kids was a baby, I longed for that turning point in their development when I could put them in the tub, settle down on the floor and read my book while they play. No where in the house can you keep a toddler in one place, entertained and safe, as in the bathtub. Mind you, I am not putting the child in there and wandering around the house (though I have been known to clean a toilet or a sink during bathtime); I am sitting down right there beside my kid and reading a book. You take the simple things in life, you know?

To continue this story, you have to know that a couple of months ago, I bought a Nook, one of the many e-readers out there on the market. Now, if you have known me for any time at all, you also know that I'm not a shopper. I have a two store per trip limit (give or take) when shopping for myself and only a slightly higher tolerance when shopping for the kids. This premise pretty much holds true for all stores, whether clothing, grocery, home goods or outdoor merchandise is sold there. Except for one place...stick me in a Barnes and Noble with all the time in the world and they will have to kick me out when the lights go down. Anyway, in a moment of weakness I broke down and purchased a Nook at Barnes and Noble. While I was not convinced I would really like an electronic book, I thought I'd try it out. I had always been one of those who says "but I like the feel of the book" and "I would never be able to just read a e-book". Well, I've been converted. I love the Nook. I love the convenience...now I don't even have to go to Barnes and Noble, the one store that I actually liked! Stupid as it sounds, getting a Nook did change my life in a subtle way. No more late evening runs to the bookstore between the kids' bedtime and when the store closes; no more picking so-so books off the bargain bin. Now I have immediate access to whatever I want to read, right there in the comfort of my own house! Traveling with books is a piece of cake...just load on there what you want and off you go, no need to lug three or four books with you to the beach...just the one. Nook is a beautiful thing.

There are those naysayers who will say that I can't really like books that much if I like the NOOK. I get it; I was one of them. I disagree and really don't feel it necessary to explain more than that. I have found that what I really like the reading of the books, not so much the procuring and holding and storing of the books. So there.

OK, all that is kind of beside the point of the story I am trying to tell, so I'll get back on track. Now, my little Josh (19 months and counting) is a reader too. He loves books as much as any kid I know. If those books have trucks and tractors in them, all the better. He's a reader too...more along the lines of But No the Hippopotamus then of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, but he's still young.

ANYWAY, finally the actual story...the other night we were in the dining room finished with dinner and I asked Josh if he was ready for a tubber (our term for bathtime). He nodded and headed across the living room for the steps. I was a few steps behind him and about half way up the steps when I realized he was carrying my Nook. The darling boy, knowing he was going for a tubber, found my Nook and was going to bring it into the bathroom, because he knows that when its bathtime for baby, its reading time for Mommy! For all he knows, I have been reading the same book for about 6 months now, and he must think its a good one!! Too cute.

OK, it does not seem as funny or meaningful in print, but it was both funny and meaningful to me, and its my blog, so there. One more little bit of stuff on us for your enjoyment!!

No comments: