Monday, April 20, 2009

Quick Bites: April 2009

Bite #1: At our house, we are self-professed West Wing lovers. I have recently been listening to the DVDs (yes, I have the boxed set) on my way to work...I know that sounds crazy, but some mornings I just don't want to listen to all the talking on the radio so I pop in a dvd and listen to Josh and Toby and CJ solve the world's problems in 60 minutes or less...its all good. Anyway, this weekend M, JW and I dropped D off at a birthday party and were heading to the pool so M could go swimming while D was at the party. Well, the West Wing was on the DVD player and M was apparently watching it on the tv screen in the backseat. She sighed dramatically and said to me: "It just does not feel right, watching West Wing without Daddy." So, I guess I am chopped liver, but that girl loves her daddy!

Bite #2: I am a firm believer in nursing my babies. With a small baby in the house who eats every few hours, there are lots of times when I am just hanging out feeding him while the kids play or do their own thing. The other day D was walking by and observed me feeding JW. As he walked away, he looked back at me and commented "I can't believe he's brave enough to put his mouth on that thing". He cracks me up!

Bite #3: While on a walk the other day we passed an SUV parked in some one's driveway. There were 2 large dogs in the back of the truck who were barking and throwing themselves at the rear window as we walked by. M, being the compassionate child that she is, said "Mommy, I apologize for them." Though I agreed their barking and howling was annoying, I wondered why she felt SHE need to apologize for them, and she said because they were barking and making all that noise. Still confused, I asked her why she was apologizing for them...she did not put them in the back of the car and leave them there. She just looked at me sadly. It took me a few minutes before I came up with another theory. "M" I said "did you mean you feel sorry for those dogs?" She nodded at me sadly. "Yes, I am sorry for them because they are locked in the back of that car." Sometimes it just takes us grownups a few extra minutes to figure out what those little people are saying!

Bite #4: D's first loose tooth is hanging on by a thread. He can dangle it front and back and he refuses to eat an apple for fear the tooth will come out. He has expressed concern that he'll lose it at night in his bed. However, he resists having anyone help him extract the thing from his mouth. We've offered the old tie it to a doorpost, but of course he says no. As I personally get queasy at the thought of pulling a tooth, he loves to tease me with it by wiggling it in front of me....I get antsy just thinking about it. Anyway, expect a new post in the next few days (or month if he is anything like his mama...I used to let the things practically rot out of my mouth) showing our newly toothless boy!

That's all folks, just a few notes from the life of us.

No comments: